Expansion & Development
The debut last December of the new Stateside Hotel and base lodge capped off a $44 million building season that also saw 84 mountain cottages open, as well as a complete revamping of the resort’s entrance. What’s in store for the rest of 2014? A much needed nap. Well, that might be a bit of wishful thinking.
In case you missed it, we got into the music business two years ago when we opened the doors to the Foeger Ballroom and began hosting acts like Bruce Horsby, the Wailers and Rusted Root. This summer we’re taking the show outside with the debut of the new Stateside Amphitheater. The 1500-person outdoor music venue will be located between the Stateside Hotel and the Mountain Kids Adventure Center. The setting will offer concert goers both seated and lawn options, plus all of the food and frothy beverages you expect to find while watching music in the mountains. The Stateside Amphitheater opens July 25th with the Jeezum Crow Festival, a two-day concert featuring nine acts including Lukas Nelson, Bronze Radio Return and headliners Dark Star Orchestra.
...And just down the road, progress continues at the various projects comprising the $500 million Northeast Kingdom Economic Development Inititiative:
- Q Burke Mountain Resort will break ground this June on the first phase of its $108 million revitalization with a new hotel and conference center.
- Jay Peak owners Ariel Quiros and Bill Stenger closed on the Spates Block in downtown Newport this spring and construction of the new Renaissance Block will begin this fall. The project involves razing an entire city block and building a new facility that will offer two floors of commercial space such as a brew pub, and four floors of residences.
- In December, the two partners announced expanded plans for the Newport Airport. Originally Quiros and Stenger and intended to construct new hangars for the assemby of new aircraft, but at a December 20 press conference, Quiros announced that a new commercial enterprise, Flight Design Americas, LLC, had been established and will be based at the Newport Airport. Flight Design Americas has secured the exclusive production, assembly and distribution rights for North, South and Central America for the Flight Design C4 aircraft, a state-of-the-art four-seat plane. Flight Design Americas has also secured the exclusive distribution rights for the U.S. and Canada for other products manufactured by Flight Design GmbH., a Stuttgart Germany based company.
- Along the shores of Lake Memphremagog, crews are readying to begin work on the new AnC Bio campus. Construction of the $110 million state-of-the-art biotechnology facility will begin this summer.
- Looking toward 2017/18, a deposit has been made on the land where the new Marina Hotel and Conference Center will be built on the eastern shore of Lake Memphremagog. The new resort is expected to begin welcoming guests summer of 2018.